The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) has accomplished P13.6 billion worth of infrastructure in Central Visayas in the year 2020, despite restrictions brought about by the COVID-19 pandemic.
“DPWH has uphold its commitment towards enhancing infrastructure even during a national emergency”, said Secretary Mark Villar.
Implemented under the 2020 General Appropriations Act (GAA), DPWH Region 7 has completed the construction, rehabilitation, improvement, and maintenance of 5,203.87 lane kilometers of national roads worth P4.4 billion, 55 bridges worth P708 million, and 110 flood control structures worth P2 billion, improving travel time and ensuring the safety of motorists.
DPWH also facilitated the completion of 754 local infrastructure projects which comprises multi-purpose and school buildings, local roads and bridges, flood control and drainage, and water systems amounting to P3.1 billion.
Some projects also include those in convergence with several government agencies worth P3.4 billion, including:
• 189 classrooms and 27 buildings with the Department of Education costing P535.4 million;
• 11 projects with the Department of Defense amounting to 290.3 million;
• 2 structures with the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management costing P65 million;
• 121.73 lane kilometers of access roads leading to tourist destinations, ports, and airports with Department of Tourism, Department of Trade and Industry and Department of Transportation costing P2.3 billion;
• 18.8 lane kilometers of farm to market roads with the Department of Agriculture costing P208.8 million.
“All these accomplishments were made possible through the leadership of Regional Director Edgar B. Tabacon and Assistant Regional Director Mario M. Montejo, the perseverance of the 14 District Engineers, Division and Section Chiefs, as well as the complete cooperation and involvement of all employees of Region 7 District Engineering Offices”, said Secretary Villar.
“We will continue to do all we can to deliver quality, safe, and environmentally sustainable public infrastructure facilities that will benefit every Filipino”, Secretary Villar added.