DPWH 6 to Complete the Construction of Iloilo Convention Center in August

Monday, August 24, 2015

The construction of the Iloilo Convention Center is expected to be completed in August, this year.

According to DPWH 6 Regional Director Edilberto D. Tayao, ICC is already 98 percent completed where the remaining 2 percent is for the removal of the scaffolding and furnishings.

The Iloilo Convention Center will be the main venue of the three ministerial meetings of the upcoming Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Summit in September and October, this year.

Dir. Tayao also said that the project is a bit delayed as they have to go through a lot of testing processes, including the delivery of the elevator and putting up of the two escalators.

“We are just waiting for the connection to the PECO (Panay Electric Co.) so, we can start for the testing,” Dir. Tayao said in an interview.

Members of the APEC local organizing committee inspected the building last July 31 to assess the works and find out the materials needed for the meetings.

Dir. Tayao further said that facilities for the meeting will be under the Tourism Infrastructure and Enterprise Zone Authority (TIEZA), however, the DPWH will help.

He also said that DPWH will work on the parking area around ICC since it is one of the concerns of the delegates. Landscaping will also be undertaken by the DPWH as additional works.

Iloilo Convention Center, with the total allocation of P700.0 Million is divided into two phases. Phase I, with the amount of P500.00 and completed in November, 2014, involves the construction of the structure. While Phase II, with the amount of P200.0 Million, involves finishing works, ventilation, and electrical works, as well as installation of 2 units escalators.

As additional works, the DPWH will implement the provision of parking lot and landscaping works in the amount of P29.60 Million.

Tayao said that DPWH is confident enough that the project will be completed before APEC meetings.