The Department of Public Works and Highways – National Capital Region has sought the concurrence of the City of Manila and the National Historical Commission before it proceeds for the removal of the rotunda along Bonifacio Drive.
In a letter to Manila Mayor Joseph Ejercito Estrada, DPWH NCR Regional Director Reynaldo Tagudando requested for the concurrence of the City Government of Manila before proceeding with project implementation including the relocation of Anda monument inside the rotunda located along Bonifacio Drive to Maestranza Park in Intramuros, Manila.
Tagundando also said that the proposal to transfer the Anda monument was approved by Tourism Secretary Ramon R. Jimenez, Jr. in a memorandum dated January 25, 2013. Also contained in the said Memorandum is the non-objection to the transfer of the monument by Dr. Maria Serena I. Diokno, Chair of the National Historical Commission.
The removal of the Anda circle was planned since last year (2013) to ease the worsening traffic condition in the area due to the presence of trucks coming to and going inside the Manila South Harbor, Manila North HarBor including the Manila International Container Terminal.
Scope of work on the projects includes the removal of the rotunda and replace it with concrete pavement and the establishment of a signalized traffic system by installing traffic lights. The project is expected to ease the traffic gridlock being experienced daily in that particular area.