The project is envisioned to provide a high standard highway cum dike that will facilitate traffic flow and mitigate flooding in the western coastal communities along Laguna Lake, from Bicutan/Taguig in Metro Manila through Calamba to Los Baños in Laguna. The proposed alignment runs 500 meters away on average following the shoreline of the Laguna Lake. The project has the following components:
(A) Expressway Dike, Taguig-Los Baños, 47 km, with two (2) sections as follows:
(2) Calamba-Los Baños
a. 4-lane tollway with 8 interchanges and access roads
b. Dike designed for 100-year flood, and 16 floodgates/pumping stations designed for 60-year flood.
(B) Reclamation, 700 hectares, Taguig-Muntinlupa
a. 7 islands, about 450-500m wide and 15.6km long
b. With horizontal development (roads, drainage, open spaces)
c. 100-150m channel between lakeshore and reclamation
This project aims to:
- relieve the heavily travelled Bicutan–Calamba corridor (SLEX and Manila South Road)
- serve as an alternate to the congested road of the National Highway from Calamba to Los Baños.
- integrate a flood control system to protect the flood prone areas located along the shoreland of Laguna Lake
- save vehicle operating costs, save passenger time, reduce flood damages, increase land productivity in existing communities due to flood protection, and increase land productivity (value added) in the reclamation area.
At the end of construction, the project is expected to:
- reduce travel time from Bicutan to Los Baños from 90 to 35 minutes
- create 700 hectares of land asset
- avoid a Php 8.1B average annual flood damage
- help an average of 800,000 people affected by flood
- protect flood prone structures
- increase travel speed from 30–45 kph to 80 kph
- Deferred. Awaiting for further instruction.